You will know on 1 March whether or not your child has a place at Tuxford Academy. Once the LEA informs you that a place has been awarded, the school will ensure that the transition occurs smoothly.
- Visits by Miss Hethershaw and members of her team to official feeder primary schools occur in January / February and again in May / June.
- An intake programme takes place in the summer term so that the students who are allocated a place can get to know the school.
- Students with special needs have an extended induction - working with members of our learning support team.
- An intake booklet and other information will be provided in May, and should answer any questions that you have.
- For the year 6 students who are transferring to Tuxford Academy in September 2018, transition week is taking place on Monday 2 to Friday 6 July 2018.
Our students' advice for new starters
Click on each college name to read the blogs.
offers some helpful tips and advice for any worried year sixes with some useful pointers
gives some advice on making friends
reviews some of the trips in year 7
talks about Investors in Pupils
Reflections on a previous transition week
It has become a Tuxford tradition to offer year 6 students from primary schools a week's placement in the summer term so that they can become familiar with the building's layout and meet their tutor group before joining us full time in September.
Here are a few students' memories of the experience:
Emma, Clarborough Primary
"When I came to transition week, yes, I was a bit nervous but the students and teachers were really helpful. I made new friends and transition week really prepared me for September."
Charlie, Dunham Primary
"When I visited in Transition Week I thought the school would be much bigger."
Harvey, Sutton on Trent Primary
"When I came to school in July to transition week, I was nervous but also excited. I made lots of new friends that I might not have met. When I started in September, I made a very good friend from a different primary school to mine."