Teaching schools are outstanding schools that work with others to provide high-quality training and development to new and experienced school staff. They are part of the government’s plan to give schools a central role in raising standards by developing a self-improving and sustainable school-led system.
By March 2016, the government’s goal is to have a network of 600 teaching schools making significant improvements in the quality of teaching, leadership and pupil attainment.
A Teaching School has to
- Have an outstanding rating from OFSTED
- Engage in successful partnerships
- Show excellent leadership with a proven track record of school improvement
- Have an outstanding head teacher
- Have a leadership team with the capacity to lead the six core areas of the teaching school role.