When the school opened in 1958 it had specialist rural studies status and an attached farm unit. The original building (since demolished) was the prototype for hundreds of other schools throughout the country. The county architect responsible for the design was awarded a CBE. Not only was the building innovative but the school was the first in the county to have a covered sports area outdoors - and its school farm was the first to keep cows.
The original school population was 314 and it remained at around 390 until 1973 when the new school leaving age of sixteen came into effect. A new maths and craft block was built to accommodate the additional 100 students staying on for a fifth year. In 1976, the school became a comprehensive and the numbers on roll increased again so a third teaching block was added. Sixth form teaching began in 1980 - with just eleven post 16 students at first.
The Education Reform Act of 1988 introduced the national curriculum, and Ofsted inspections began soon after. Following Tuxford School's first inspection in 1995, the chief inspector recommended it for a Good School's Award and the Minister for Schools came to present it.
In 2002, the school became a technology college and, in 2007, it became a designated training school. The new school building was constructed 2005-2007 to replace the old one. By the time the new school opened the student population had grown to approximately 1,300, including 230 at post 16 level.
The academy today is both popular and successful. Expectations are high, examination results are impressive and parents are supportive. Everyone associated with Tuxford Academy is justly proud of what has been achieved over the years through teamwork and determination.